Wednesday 18 June 2014

Ear Shades (Earring Sunglasses)

Our family was invited to my cousin's 21st birthday and on the invitation, it said the theme was, "Splarkle, shades and style." So my sister, being my sister, refused to submit to the ordinary wearing of sunglasses and commissioned these earrings from me. I loved them so much that I made us each a pair.



You Will Need:

  • Wire. Once again I have no idea how much you need, but wire is a useful thing to have around the house, especially if you want to  continue to follow our posts.
  • Cellophane in a dark colour. I used a dark-blueish purple.
  • Pen/pencil and paper (optional)
  • Superglue
  • Scissors 

Method

 

*NOTE* When I'm talking about "pair" I may be referring to  a pair of sunglasses ( ONE EARRING) or a pair of earrings (TWO SUNGLASSES)

I apologize for my wire work. I am not the neatest person around and I wasn't really trying to be neat when I made these. They are quite finicky, so after making two of the little blighters for my sister, the only thing I cared about was retaining the use of my supegluey fingers. 

You can start by drawing the desired size and shape of your glasses on paper as a guideline, or you can just jump right in and get down to work like I did (as you can see in the picture).

Cut off two equal pieces of wire using the cutters. I have no idea of the actual size, but rather make them too long than too short. I'd say roughly 15 cm. Put one piece to the side for your other earring. 


 I have done a cute little sketch to show you what I'm going on about.

  1. Loosely bend the wire in half to make the bridge.
  2. Use an object (a pencil's a little too small) or your estimation to bend two equal lens shapes.
  3. From now on the drawing focuses on one lens only because what you do to one you do to the other. Ain't nobody got time to draw both sides. Bend the wire to a 90 degree angle to form the top of the lens.
  4. Bend the wire around the bridge and pinch it closed. Follow the line of the top of the frame to get back to the outer corner.
  5. Bend the wire back to form the arm of the glasses
  6. Bend the end of the wire back to the outer corner of the frame
  7. Pinch it closed
  8. Bend the end of the arm in a slight downward curve to look like it would rest on a really tiny ear.
REPEAT FOR OTHER LENS OF THAT PAIR AND THEN MAKE ANOTHER PAIR OF GLASSES.
Cut four pieces of cellophane that are the same size and shape as the wire lens frame. Use superglue and a huge amount of patience to attach the lenses to each frame, leaving a little of the outer corner of one side unglued to allow the earring to go through. Wait for the glue to dry before attaching the basic hooks to one outer corner of each pair of glasses. 

Rating:

Effort Required: 8/10

Compared to the other earrings we've posted, these are like Earring-Zilla. They are extremely frustrating to make and it took me about 15 minutes per pair (I made four), just for the wire work. The glueing takes at least another 5 minutes per pair.

Durability: 3/10

This depends on the wire and superglue you use. I used the same wire as the G-Clef Earrings so it's easy to bend. Avoid hugs and admiring fingers, but the plus side is that they're really easy to fix by just bending them back to the right place if a mishap befalls them.

Cool Factor: 6/10

It depends on their size and colour, but they're not the most in-your-face earrings ever. However, people love them when they notice them and they got some great reactions at the 21st. Please not that these are not UV resistant and Glue and Random Objects will not be held responsible for uneven ear or neck tans.

If you have any questions, hate mail, comments, challenges or suggestions please feel free to make contact with the nifty little comment box below. Also, if you want to keep up to date on our latest posts, follow my earring board on Pinterest.


No comments:

Post a Comment