Saturday 31 May 2014

Wire G-Clef Earrings

The idea for these ones came to me while i was fooling around with wire, trying to make an ear cuff from a tutorial on Pinterest. Then I gave up and made these instead. The nice thing about them is that they're still part of the whole 'I love music' cliche, but they're more interesting than music notes.


You Will Need:


  • A coil of wire. I can't tell you how much you need because I'm honestly not sure, but wire is still a really useful thing to have, especially if you continue to follow our tutorials (*spoiler alert*, we use wire pretty often). I know that you can also get some pretty radical colours and patterns, so go nuts!
  • Paper  
  • A printer or a pen/pencil

Method


I'm not the best at wire work and even I could do this, so it's clearly not very difficult. The hardest part is getting both earrings to look the same. To avoid this issue, you can do a treble clef on one ear and a base clef on the other, but if you ask me, a treble clef is way more impressive.

On the paper, draw or print a picture of a g-clef that is the size you want your earrings to be. Mine are around 4 cm. Take the wire coil and use the round-nosed pliers to bend the end of it to trace the shape on the paper. When you're done, use the cutters to cut the g-clef off. I tucked the end of the spiral over the part that goes straight down for added stability.

When attaching the basic hooks, remember to think about which way the earrings will be facing when they're dangling off your ears. 

Rating:

Effort Required: 4/10

Like I said, they're not very difficult to make. They don't take much time and they're made with materials you should have around the house.

Durability: 4/10

Durability depends on the wire and technique that you used. The wire that I used is incredibly flimsy which made the bending easier, but they're not very durable. Beware of hugs and hair, because they tend to get tangled up pretty easily. For once though, you can expose these to open flame if you want to, so that's a plus.

Cool Factor: 6/10

These earrings are pretty cool. They're retro and elegant at the same time. I have received many compliments about these earrings, even though they're not incredibly original. They're still better than music notes by far.

If you have any questions, hate mail, comments, challenges or suggestions please feel free to make contact with the nifty little comment box below. Also, if you want to keep up to date on our latest posts, follow my earring board on Pinterest.







No comments:

Post a Comment